The University of Sheffield was developed from three local institutions, the oldest being founded in 1828 and in 1905 was officially inaugurated by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.
In the 21st century, the University implemented an ambitious strategy of growth with construction of several buildings, with emphasis on The Diamond. It is the largest university investment (£ 81 million), opened in 2015, with specialized engineering education facilities, computer science area with 1,000 computers, conference rooms, seminar rooms, open learning spaces, library, IT services, digital and print facilities, media editing booths, recording studio and informal study space, including a 24-hour coffee shop.
The Diamond has a diamond-shaped aluminum facade, with galvanized steel sheets and glass. It is designed as a “smart” building that allows detailed control of energy management, and includes a naturally ventilated central atrium and rainwater collection.