Designed by the German-American Civil Engineer John Augustus Roebling, it was inaugurated in 1883 with the goal of connecting Manhattan to Brooklyn in New York. Six days after its inauguration, a rumor that the bridge would collapse caused tumult and fear. The businessman P. T. Barnum helped to resolve any doubts about his stability when he paraded with 21 elephants on the bridge.
It is a mixed structure, stationed and suspended, with more than 22,000km of wire. Until 1903 it was the largest bridge of the type in the world, 50% larger than any other and at 84.30 meters it remained the tallest structure in the Western Hemisphere for several years. Until the 1950s there were no aerodynamic tests in wind tunnels, and so it was fortunate that the open truss structure on which the bridge deck rests is by nature less subject to aerodynamic problems, resulting in a set which is six times stronger than it should be.
It currently has 6 lanes for cars, and pedestrian and bicycle routes, although until 1944 it also possessed a road for trains and, until 1950, for trams.
Its architectural style is neo-Gothic, with distinctive ogival arches above the passages in the stone towers of limestone, granite and Rosendale cement. The contrast between the stone towers and steel cables, as well as the choice of colors (dark brown for stones and beige and light brown for cables) made a single whole, a mixture of strength and grace, weight and lightness.